As a copywriter, you know the importance of connecting with your audience. After all, you are responsible for enticing customers to take action of some sort with your content. These actions range from visiting your website, to subscribing to your business’s emails, to purchasing a product or service.
You can find many B2C and B2B copywriting tools online for you to use, but those tools will only take you so far. You have to use the right techniques to have the most success. This blog will focus on what to do to persuade your audience to take action, something that even the best free copywriting tools and resources can’t always help with.
What Are Copywriting Techniques?
Copywriting techniques are the writing practices that allow you to draw in your audience, relate to them, and convince them to take action. Consider copywriting techniques as advertising fundamentals for your business. Below we have listed some of the most important ones.
- Include an intriguing headline. Your audience will decide whether to read your content based on the headline. If it doesn’t catch their eye, they will skip it. You can choose a humorous headline, one containing an interesting fact, or a question or comment that people often wonder about. For examples of good headlines and other copywriting examples, check out Marketing Examples.
- Use your audience’s language. Once you determine what groups you want to target with your content, do some research into how they speak and what level of language they understand. Doing so will help you figure out what jargon you can use and at what grade level you should write. If you write in a way that your audience understands and relates with, they will be more inclined to continue reading.
- Discuss what your audience cares about. When you research how your audience speaks, also look into what they like or need. Your content will only persuade them if you describe your product or service in a way that makes your audience think it will solve their problems. Do not simply list features. Appeal to your readers’ egos and emotions.
- Break up your content. 85% of Americans own smartphones. That means that a lot of people read content on their phones. If your audience sees that you have big chunks of text throughout your piece, they’ll have a harder time reading it. Instead, break it up into shorter paragraphs and use headers to make it easier for them to skim. Using bold or underlined words also helps with readability. Slice is a writing tool that can help you break up your content into manageable pieces to work on. We’ll discuss it more later.
- Use facts. When you write content, include statistics and useful information to establish that your business has expertise in whatever you write about. Doing so will assure your readers that you are trustworthy. Using testimonials from other customers is another great way to establish trustworthiness and appeal to your readers’ emotions.
- Include a call to action. This will go at the end of your content because you want to make sure you build a relationship with your reader before telling them to do something. This will be where you ask them to visit your website, review your online catalog, or something like that. As with the rest of the piece, remind your audience in the call to action why your product or service would benefit them.
Successfully using these techniques takes practice and skill. There are some common skills that each copywriter should develop to improve their techniques.
What Skills Should a Copywriter Have?
A copywriter should be able to write engaging content, conduct research, pay attention to detail, use clear communication, and use creativity. These skills matter in copywriting because they:
- allow the writer to connect with the reader.
- make content more reliable.
- make the writing clear and concise.
- present ideas in a fresh way, which increases the chances that the target audience will keep reading.
Once you have these skills down, Slice can help you stay focused, thus making your content more engaging.
Write Engaging Content Using Slice
Focused and organized content will keep your reader’s attention once you’ve grabbed it with your intriguing headline. But to write focused content, you have to stay focused yourself. This is tricky when you have to switch through several tabs to find what you need and have a blank page staring back at you.
Let Slice help. With our tool, you can keep everything you need for a project, your research, your writing, and any other notes you have, in one place. Then, you can work on your content one manageable piece at a time. With fewer distractions, you will have a much easier time staying focused. Ready to learn more? Visit our website.